LEADERS USEFUL WEB RESOURCES. There are many tools to support leaders and many are on the web. And if you don’t know the answer, there’s always people to help you at Gilwell in the Info Centre. Call them on 0845 300 1818.
- POR (policy, organisation and rules)
- HQ Factsheets (all start FS… you’ll need to narrow down your search so try ‘FS whatever’)
- Background info from HQ for beavers, for cubs, for scouts
- To see your own record on Compass (HQ’s system), go here, then Sign In top right, then My Profile
- Login to OSM
- Scout Brand; summary guidelines which includes how to get the colours in word and the full reference from HQ
- Online ordering for Scout forms, uniform, handbooks, materials etc
- Logos; Our groups’, beavers‘, cubs’, scouts’
- Group Programme resource contacts collated by the leaders
- Group centrally held files (if you don’t have access, ask GSL)
- Group Site bookings calendar (if you don’t have access, ask GSL)
ADULT TRAINING. As leaders work through their training, they get support from a training advisor and the GSL. However, it can be useful to look things up for yourself and many details and links are held on the District website. As we are on the border of Hampshire, sometimes it can be beneficial to consider courses in Hants.
There is a raft of info about training; what needs to be done, specific training content, Dorset courses and how to book them. These are available on the Christchurch website
As we are on the Dorset / Hampshire border, at times we use training as provided by Hampshire scouts. These are additional options when looking to source courses.
- Hants First-Response course (full and refresher) calendar
- Online booking for Hants First-Response courses at Romsey
- Hants courses calendar for scheme modules
- Hants training booking form
USEFUL APPS. There are many useful apps to use on your smart-phones which can help you with your scouting. There’s one that lists all the badges, another that accesses OSM, our record-keeping system, and one on first aid. Then if you start searching you’ll find others on knots, camping and so on.
Produced by the Scout Association and useful to anyone who wants to know more about the badges that can be earnt. Beavers, cubs, scouts, explorers, and parents could all look through to see what they could gain. Just £1.49.
Leaders and young leaders can use it to check when programme planning, answer queries and plan badge work. Load it then claim the cost from the treasurer.
Used by the Group to manage all our records online. Does require wifi or equivalent. Leaders and young leaders can have access although what you can look it depends on your role. You will need to talk to the GSL to sort your authority out once you have the app. Go to onlinescoutmanager.co.uk then opt for OSM Anywhere version.
The Scout Association’s training partner, the Red Cross, does a free app that gives you simple, easy advice for 18 first aid scenarios. Useful as a refresher, might just be critical in an emergency.
Links to iPhone, Android and Blackberry
This page has had 845 views, since March 2014.